The Global Education Center (GEC) at Waseda University, a long-established private university located in central Tokyo, Japan, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track (or tenured) position in Academic Writing in English. The successful candidate is expected to teach in the Academic Writing and Discussion in English (AWADE) program to Japanese and international social science students. The successful candidate must also conduct academic research related to L2 English writing to further develop this program. We particularly welcome applications from those who are enthusiastic about teaching English for academic purposes.
Associate professor (tenure track) / Assistant professor (tenure track) or
Associate Professor (full) / Assistant Professor (full)
Note: When a position is offered, the rank of the position (Associate Professor/Assistant Professor) as well as the status of the appointment (permanent or tenure-track) will be determined by achievements in academic teaching and research, performance in the selection procedure and other factors. The successful candidate will be informed of the selected position and its concomitant salary at the end of the selection procedure.
- Hold a doctorate (Ph.D.) in applied linguistics, education or a related field.
- Have an overall command of English sufficient to carry out the work mentioned below.
- Have previous experience in teaching academic writing in English at university level.
- Have previous experience in creating teaching materials for academic writing in English at university level.
- Have research findings in applied linguistics, preferably focused on second language writing.
3. Job Description
(i) Teaching load: Teach academic English writing to Japanese and international students from various departments and schools at Waseda University. At least 4 lesson periods per week for the 1st year (1 lesson period is 100 minutes) for 7 weeks in each term.
- Development of writing program(s) in academic English, mainly for the social sciences:
- Develop educational programs and curricula primarily for the social sciences.
- Prepare textbooks and develop teaching materials (e.g. teaching notes for part-time lecturers, quizzes, classroom activities).
(ii) Develop and improve teaching methods suitable for GEC courses.
(iii) To administer academic writing courses in English at the GEC:
- Manage assistant professors (non-tenured) and part-time lecturers at the GEC.
- Administer educational programs in cooperation with colleagues at Waseda University.
- Conduct academic research relating to the above.
(b) Perform tasks deemed important by the GEC or Waseda University.
Delivered in accordance with university regulations. Case in point: The annual salary of a 35-year-old assistant professor (tenure-track) is 8,374,560 yen (tax included) in 2022.
Please see the following website for more details:
Global Education Center, Waseda University Faculty Recruitment Information for Associate/Assistant Professor (Tenure Track/Tenured) (Academic English Writing) Deadline for application: February 16th, 2023
Application form :