Writing business

“Can my employer halve my salary to cover accidental damage?” »

I work in an engineering company and I made a stupid mistake that caused damage to a machine. It was an accident and I apologized, but my boss says they will charge me for the repairs and cut 50 percent off my salary for three months to pay it off.

I can’t live with this small amount because I have a dependent family, but the company will not accept my suggestion to deduct a lower amount for a longer period.

Can I do something because I’m afraid I will not be able to pay my car loan and my current bills? AP, Sharjah

No employer is allowed to simply cut an employee’s salary in half. This company is acting illegally and not in accordance with the new UAE labor laws.

Section 25 of the law, titled Cases of Withholding or Deduction from Workers’ Wages, clarifies the few situations where deductions can legally be made and in what amount.

“No sum may be deducted or withheld from the worker’s salary except in the following cases: sums withheld from the worker because of offenses he commits, according to the regulations on sanctions in force at the establishment and approved by the Department, provided they do not exceed five percent of the salary”, says the law.

“The sums necessary to compensate for damage caused by the worker, as a result of his fault or the violation of the employer’s instructions, which has resulted in the destruction, demolition or loss of tools, machines, products or materials belonging to the employer, provided that the amounts deducted do not exceed the wages of five days per month. A higher amount may only be deducted with the approval of the competent court. »

We could assume that the employer is unaware of the law, which would not be uncommon, so the first step is to point out the law and what is permitted.

If they insist on making illegal deductions, the PA must file a complaint against the employer with the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation. This can be done by telephone (600 590000) or via his website and app.


Watch: New UAE labor law comes into force

I am in Dubai on a three month visit visa from India. I have an international driving license. Am I allowed to drive a private car? South Africa, Dubai

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has given guidance on this. It says: “If you are visiting the United Arab Emirates and hold a valid international driving license, you can therefore rent a car or drive a car registered in your name or that of one of your parents in first degree.”

The term generally used is an international driving permit.

This means that a visitor to the UAE can only drive a vehicle owned by a first-degree relative, i.e. a parent, child, sibling.

If the private car in question does not belong to one of these relatives, SA is not authorized to drive it legally and can only drive a rental car.

To ensure that a person is properly insured, it is wise that anyone wishing to authorize a suitable next of kin to drive their vehicle receives confirmation from their insurance company. This should be confirmed in writing, although an email should suffice.

I have been living in Muscat, Oman for a few years and will be relocating to my company office in Dubai. We have a family dog ​​and I would like to know how I can bring him to the UAE.

Can I drive it across the border or are there expensive complications to sort out? QM, Muscat

This is not a topic I know well, so I asked Kate Lindley, owner of Paw Pals Dubai, a company specializing in pet sitting and removals, for advice.

“It is possible to drive your dog across the border – they must be microchipped, fully vaccinated and tested for rabies antibodies as Oman is listed as a high risk country,” Ms Lindley said.

“You will need to apply for an import permit, which can be obtained online. You must be a UAE resident to import pets. Alternatively, an animal relocation company can issue the import permit on your behalf. The cost of the import permit is 200 Dh per dog or cat, plus a release fee of 500 Dh.

Keren Bobker is an independent financial advisor and senior partner at Holborn Assets in Dubai, with over 25 years of experience. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @FinancialUAE

The advice provided in our columns does not constitute legal advice and is provided for information purposes only.


Labor law changes in images, in pictures

Updated: October 09, 2022, 05:00