The highly esteemed Irish poet, Seamus Heaney, wrote that the moment he put his “feeling into words” marked the discovery of his poetic voice. In this week-long online poetry workshop, we’ll explore ways to harness and strengthen your authentic voice. We will also reflect on the talent of poetic metaphor for communicating intense emotion and experience.
Through a series of exercises as well as a discussion of relevant published examples, we will see what gives poetry its special power to resonate in our hearts and minds.
Is this course for you? Read our course FAQs before you register>>
Expected learning outcomes
In this online poetry writing workshop, participants:
- Learn about aspects of poetic writing with an emphasis on metaphor
- Practice several techniques to generate new ideas for their writing through a series of exercises
- Learn effective techniques for editing their own writing
Internet access and confidence in using basic computer software are essential for this program. Please read our FAQ before registering.
You don’t need to log in to the course at a specific time and there are no live meetings. You will receive an email with an invitation link to join the online class by 10am on the day the course starts.
- Participants will work through multiple lessons, which will open sequentially over the first few days of the course (see course dates in the blue box above).
- You can complete the course material at your own pace.
- This course includes short written assignments and the opportunity to give and receive feedback from peers. Some assignments will receive feedback from the tutor if they are completed on time.
Please expect to spend at least six hours on the course, noting that the time needed to read, respond to discussions, write, revise and critique will vary from person to person. We recommend allocating one hour per day to the course while it is running. By setting aside this time, you will get the most out of the course and be able to interact with the other participants and the tutor.
You can find out more about the course by reading our Frequently Asked Questions. If you have questions, contact us please.