Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher learning with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is home to nine departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the arts and sciences, including English Literature and Linguistics, Arabic Language, Mass Communication, history, sociology, social work, psychology, international affairs, politics, planning and development, statistics, chemistry, biological sciences and environmental sciences. The College is also home to Masters programs, which are M.Sc. in Environmental Science, MA in Gulf Studies, MA in Arabic Language and Literature, M.Sc. in Materials Science and Technology and M.Sc. in applied statistics. In addition to a Ph.D. in Biological and Environmental Sciences and a Ph.D. in Gulf Studies. Additionally, the College offers an Arabic program for non-native speakers. In addition, there are two established research centers, namely the Center for Sustainable Development and the Center for Gulf Studies.
It is worth mentioning that as members of Qatar University, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to obtain internal and external funding for their research ideas. The Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is the main source of research funding, with an individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million projects (5 million exceptional projects) as well as student research funding programs . As a national university and the largest in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members eligible to win multiple grants.
duties and responsibilities
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics is inviting applications for an Assistant Professorship in Writing. The candidate must have a PhD with a specialization in English, Rhetoric and Composition or Writing Studies at the time of application, as well as post-graduate teaching experience. Additional qualifications in L2 writing, applied linguistics or TESOL are welcome. The candidate will be expected to teach introductory and advanced composition courses, as well as a wide range of undergraduate writing courses. Candidates with strong research publications could be considered for the regular track.
Additional responsibilities include contributing to the academic core curriculum; supervise graduation projects; contribute to various committees at the departmental, college and university levels; contribute to the research profile of the College through innovative and interdisciplinary research publications; be an active member of the departmental, college and university community; and other responsibilities assigned by the Head of Department.
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics is committed to familiarizing students with the genre and conventions of academic writing. Writing courses aim to introduce students to writing as a process and to develop their skills in critical thinking, problem solving, research and decision-making.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate experience and effectiveness in the following categories: teaching first-year college writing courses and advanced composition courses, using technology in teaching and research; establish and/or maintain state-of-the-art research facilities; academic advice and program development; scholarships and innovative professional activities; and effective institutional and/or community service.
- PhD in English Rhetoric and Composition, TESOL, Applied Linguistics or Writing Studies from a reputable and recognized institution.
- Specializations in TESOL, TEFL and EAP are welcome.
- Experience teaching first-year college writing courses and advanced composition courses
- An international standard research record with publication in first quarter journals in the field.
- A minimum of 3 years of teaching experience at the undergraduate and/or postgraduate level, post-PhD
- Knowledge of educational technologies used in higher education
- Willingness to work in a team and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Cover letter.
- Current Curriculum Vitae which includes the following information:
- Years of experience after the doctorate.
- Major and specialization/concentration
- H-index, total number of citations, Google Scholar link, ORCID.
- The number of first-quarter journal publications over the past 5 years.
- The number of publications in Q2 journals over the past 5 years.
- The number of publications in third-quarter journals over the past 5 years.
- The number of publications in fourth-quarter journals over the past 5 years.
- The number of publications in non-indexed journals.
- The number of books published.
- The number of book chapters published.
- The number of graduate students supervised and the role.
- Awards and grants (with role and budget amount).
- Philosophy of teaching, research and service.
- Contact details of three referents (physical and e-mail addresses as well as their telephone numbers).
- Copy of the highest diploma obtained
- (highest degree transcript if graduated from an institution where courses were taken. However, if no courses were taken, a copy of the certificate letter from the registrar of your highest institution issuing the credentials for your highest university degree).
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the request.
- A renewable three-year contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Non-taxable salary.
- Accommodation furnished in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual airfares for faculty members and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
- School allowance for applicant’s children (eligible applicants only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End of contract indemnity.
How to register
New candidate: You must create an account on the QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is completed, you can use it to apply for a vacancy.
For more information on the role, email [email protected]
Job category: Academic
Ad end date: 31-Dec-2022